Friday, May 23, 2014

fancy

My summer kicked off by seeing my soulmate, best friend, and third sister; Brenna Rose Cashen. We became friends in 6th grade and best friends summer going into 8th grade when I used to live in the same small town of Leesburg, Virginia; a surburb outside Washington D.C. We try to visit each other at least once a year and we've managed to stay best friends ever since.

When Brenna and I were reunited it was like time and distance didn't even matter we were already acting like we hang out everyday, talking about updates in each others' lives, pop culture, news, and how much we basically hate the rest of the people of the world. 

On our first full day we went to the biggest mall in the area, Tyson's, and met Brenna's boyfriend and his friend up for lunch so I could finally meet the guy who was dating my best friend {he's basically Brenna in boy form without the loud mouth so he got my seal of approval}. We ate lunch and went to some of our favorite stores like Free People, Urban Outfitters, and H&M and then naturally got lost in rush hour traffic in the pouring rain. To end a day of shopping we drank margaritas and watched our favorite "best friend" movie, Bride Wars. No, we couldn't be more stereotypical girls.
           
                                                                    

We went to a Nationals Baseball game in downtown D.C. the next day, so since I'm a sports junkie I was excited to go to another baseball game, even if it wasn't my team the Rangers. The game was so much fun and the Nationals pulled out a win, and we got to sit fairly close left field. We went with two of Brenna's best friends from high school and we all had a great time eating Ballpark food and cheering on the Nationals. As we were leaving we got a glimpse of downtown D.C.
         

Since Texas and Oklahoma are completely flat states, there aren't many hiking opportunities so we went hiking on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to Great Falls. I forgot how green and hilly Virginia was and at Great Falls there was huge rocks to hike on, great trails, and the river was high and to my eyes looked like raging rapids. It was a perfect sunny and 75 degree day to see the beauty of the East Coast.                                      



In my last full day in Virginia, we went to the country's capital of D.C. I love downtown D.C. with all the historic buildings, amazing museums, memorials, and just the history of the country. We had tickets to go to Madame Trussauds Wax Museum, which is on my bucket list so I got to check an item off. In D.C. they had a whole section of the presidents looking almost real. We then walked around the city as we like to do because we love cities. Then we stopped at a bakery and got our favorite dessert, macaroons and made sure to get some pictures of tourist sites.


Over my week trip, I ate a lot of great food as well and since I'm a food lover I had to document all the great food I ate. At the baseball game I found one of my favorite places to eat from NYC, Shake Shack. I was so excited to have found it in D.C. at a baseball game. We also went to a new local Leesburg burger restaurant, Melt. I got the most delicious burger called the Paris burger. Meat, Brie cheese, spinach, balsamic carmelized onions, with a side of fries with the restaurant's special sauce. And of course always end on a dessert, huge macaroons {favorite dessert} from Paul's bakery in downtown D.C.



My trip back to Virginia to spend time with the best friend of a lifetime was exactly what I needed to start this summer. As I boarded the plane back home to Texas I started the book that swept the teenage nation, The Fault in Our Stars {bad mistake, I cried on the plane}. And the whole plane ride back I had Iggy Azalea's song "Fancy" stuck in my head. Probably because Brenna and I listened to it everyday, multiple times a day. Bon Voyage Virginia, until next time!

My top 5 things to see in D.C.
1. The White House
2. National Archives Building
3. Washington Memorial
4. Museum of Natural History
5. Japanese Cherry Blossum Festival









No comments:

Post a Comment